Shrewsbury's Brown Bridge
Our town's covered bridge is now an official National Historical landmark. For more information go to address below and click on "Community".
The original Cuttingsville Church, as photographed below, is the site of the Shrewsbury Historical
Society Museum on Route 103 in Cuttingsville,Vermont, just southeast of Rutland. The museum is free and wheelchair accessible.
The collection includes 19th century photographs, books, diaries, furniture, costumes,
toys, as well as video and audio tapes of townspeople and special events,
and a current Shrewsbury historical scrapbook.
The Historical Society Museum is open on Sundays, 1-3 pm from July to the end of October.
Appointments to visit museum can be made by contacting Ruth Winkler, at 802-492-3324. For genealogy help, email Ruth Winkler.
Membership Dues: The dues for Jan. through Dec. are as follows:
Individual $10, Family $15, Contributing $30, and Life Membership (individual/couple) $125.
Mail to: Treasurer John Elwert, Shrewsbury Historical Society, 499 Shunpike Road, Cuttingsville, VT 05738.
Shrewsbury Historical Society Museum
5419 Route 103 Cuttingsville, VT 05738
FROM YE OLDE GIFT SHOPPE
Shrewsbury History Book
"Shrewsbury, Vermont -- Our Town As It Was", authored by Dawn D. Hance, has 320-pages and is soft covered in bright red with gold lettering.
It covers history of early Shrewsbury with a cut-off date of 1910. The book is available at the Town Clerk's office during hours and at the Historical Society Museum on Sundays from 1 to 3 pm until the end of October. $20.
Add $6 if mailing is requested.
Shrewsbury’s 250th Anniversary
This collectible envelope with a drawing by Grace Brigham and a special unique postmark, will be mailed inside a #10 business envelope for only $4 (includes postage).
John P. Bowman mausoleum and mansion
An article here from the booklet written by Honorary Trustee of the Historical Society, the late Marjorie A. Pierce in 1995 and from articles found in the May 20, 1882 and October 31, 1882 issues of the Rutland Daily Herald which were donated to the Shrewsbury Historical Society by member Morris G. Tucker.